Friday, May 16, 2008

Deceptive & Misleading Business As Usual eBay/ PayPal


UPDATE to Pants on Fire?:

IT has been pointed out that the eBay market research questionnaire wording:

"PayPal(or) Credit Card or Debit Card payments made directly to the seller's Merchant Account (Sellers will need to acquire a Merchant Account from a bank or other provider)"

is NOT the same Paypal only policy as is currently proposed in Australia.

Sellers have the option of a higher cost Merchant Account & PayPal pricing would be precisely calculated to be cheaper. (There is an example in the Ads on the right, click through to pricing.) This is de facto monopolization and inhibition of competition with the potential for price fixing as has been noted in submissions to the ACCC in Australia.

I am surprised that Google Inc has not taken steps to defend their superior Google Checkout service from eBay's specific written classification as an unsafe and inconvenient payment option.

Another example of what eBay has become. This corporation is the epitome of 'do as I say not as I do'. This is the venue that unabashedly insists the sellers terms of service are irrelevant if a buyer, after accepting them, chooses to unilaterally void any part of what is a legally enforcible contract. eBay's penchant for deceptive and misleading statements is directly responsible for record low levels in seller listings. eBay's continuous stream of negative and disparaging public statements implying a need to protect buyers from unscrupulous and fraudulent sellers has predictably resulted in loss of buyer confidence.

Sellers are moving their listings to alternative venues in increasing numbers and many are simply going out of business while eBay executives continue to harvest vast personal fortunes from soil that is no longer fertile in an unhealthy economic climate.

There is a conflict between 'eBay is only a venue' and eBay dictating business policy for the sellers. It is only a matter of time before that dichotomy is challenged in court.

Y'all come back and be sure to click VICTORIOUSLY on any interesting links in the sidebar! Gotta keep me in tea bags!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aloha Henrietta

My heart is palpitating and I think I may just have a heart attack! We agree on something right off the bat:-)!! I say "Right on!" to this new post!! You hit the nail on the head!!

As I had posted previously, I did have a merchant services credit card processor but dropped them and went with PayPal when my accountant pointed out that my fees were cheaper with PayPal than with my processor.

I look forward to your next post. How about something on ePier?

Aloha
Anony Mouse